Update: This penguin xfs server CRASH

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sat Oct 13 10:18:02 PDT 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> The catalogue is over 50 lines long, and it looks like your example.  There
> were no glaring problems with it.
>
> And yes, xfs always starts up before X, from the entry in the /etc/rc.d
> directory.  I can see xfs starting up when I start up the workstation.
> Problem is that xfs dropped dead while X was running.

why not tail the appropriate logs files on the X desktop and then push it
till it breaks and see what is reported.

Or, provide an nfs writable volume, and check out the "error-file" option
for writing, and look to increase the verbosity.

Use strace for xfs and log the output to see where it fails (would need to
be done in xfs startup sript.) This can generate LOTS of output, and is
often tedious to trace. You will most likely be interrested in the last
part of this log and see why it failed.

Set up a while loop to see how close you are to running out of memory on
the machine running the xfs.

Mmmmm.... logs gooooood... fire baaaaaaaaad...

-ME