[NBLUG/talk] Newbie and grub>

William L. Thomson Jr. support at obsidian-studios.com
Sun May 25 15:25:01 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 17:43, Jennifer Tracy wrote:
> William,
>
> I followed the instructions in the RedHat installation guide and loaded
> Windows XP first.
>
> Then I did the RH 9 install using the GUI and I do not remember seeing
> anything about GRUB and the KERNEL at the end.

You should have seen that toward the beginning. What type of install did
you do, and did you partition the drive yourself?

> I tried your suggestions below and they didn't work and I used every number
> from 0 to 6 for
> /dev/hda%d

Depending on if the partition is an extended or primary, you may have
not gone high enough.

You might want to go up to say /dev/hda9

so make sure and try /dev/hda0-9 although it could be higher.

How did you partition your system?

Also the /dev/hda0-9 thing directly corresponds to the first command of
root (hd0,0)

You might need (hd1,0) or (hd0,1)

Typically I will install RedHat first, partition things the way I want
them to and then install Windows. Of course widows will wipe out grub,
for which I re-install grub using a floppy.

I bet windows is on (hd0,0) and your partition is (hd0,1)

Now primary partitions, where your kernel will reside are numbered

1-4

Anything in the extended range will be
5 on up.

So you might need to do
root (hd0,2)

Keep in mind when dealing with the command above, you need to subtract 1
from the primary partion #. So if the kernel is one the 4 primary
partition on the first drive it would be

root (hd0,3)

Play around and let me know how it goes.

> I am told that it cannot mount the drive.
>
> So I am about ready to redo the installation of Linux and tell it to use
> LILO.

That's allot of work for a small problem. You could try to reinstall
grub, or install lilo off a floppy. Both would be better than
reinstalling everything.

Although I think if you knew a little more about your partitions and
etc, we could get you going without having to reinstall or install
anything.

However some more trial and error on your part will eventually reveal a
working combination.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.