[NBLUG/talk] Upgrading a Debian box to KDE 3.5

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri Dec 30 13:29:22 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 09:55:42AM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I can't seem to find packages for KDE 3.5 in any of the official Debian
> branches (stable, testing, unstable), and the only precompiled binaries I
> can find on the KDE website are for Kubuntu, SuSE, and Slackware.
>
> Is there a way to install KDE 3.5 on a Debian box without waiting for it
> to appear in the official Debian repository, and without trying to build
> it from source myself (and thus setting myself up for major headaches the
> next time I try to apt-get any KDE-related packages)?  Perhaps I could
> get away with installing the packages for another Debian-based distro?
> (Looking at what would happen if I were to add KDE's Kubuntu repository
> to my sources and perform a dist-upgrade is NOT encouraging.)

I'm using kde 3.5 on unstable right now.  (Eric, close your eyes)...  I'm
using the packages from Experimental which, you might think, is nuts but
its all working great.  'Experimental' doesn't actually mean 'totally
screwed', rather it's a place to try things out package at a time vs.
system at a time like Sid.

Anyway here's the sources.list entry:
deb http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/ ./

Then do 'aptitude install kde -t experimental'

It does take a bit of aptitude/apt-get shenanigans to satisfy all the deps.
I had to force the uninstall of some 3.4.3 stuff before the 3.5 stuff would
cleanly install.  But in the end I ended up with everything happy -- no
hanging deps or pissed off apt.

-troy