[NBLUG/talk] Sound problem with Skype on Ubuntu 9.04

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Fri Sep 18 07:05:47 PDT 2009

Jordan Erickson wrote:
> I'm actually using 8.04 in all my setups...the "pulse" (read:audio)
> problems went away with newer versions of Flash, like you said. The only
> other app I can find that doesn't work is Audacity. Even RDP sessions to
> a Win2k3 server works seamlessly with sound, FROM a thin client LTSP
> session.

This is funny - I'm using Audacity more and more, and it's working great
so far.  This is of course after many hours of twiddling the 1400
combinations of audio & capture settings.  Sigh.

I think I'm using ALSA with it, though - as opposed to pulse.  As Kyle
alos mentioned, getting skype to work was a bear - again, I tried every
possible combination of settings (all the while praying that it wouldn't
break my Audacitiy config).  I finally got the built in mic to work, but
it was so muddy that I dug out one of those old mics that came with an
old Dell box.

FWIW, I'm running Ubuntu 9.04, Net Book Remix on an Asus EEE PC.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net
roth-sisley.net